11.26.2011

Video Production Styles

I've noticed recently that with underground (I use that term incredibly lightly) hip hop, there's a certain type of viral, low-budget music video that goes along with the "singles" from mixtapes. The first people that come to mind are Soulja Boy, Kreayshawn and Lil B. I guess Odd Future too, but I don't waste my time watching their videos. Kreayshawn started out as a music video director, so that's why her videos are so well done. Soulja Boy puts out so many damn mixtapes like every other day and he pumps out videos just as frequently. I know he has a lot of money, but he can't possibly afford $1 million+ high production, Hype Williams-type videos. So he probably keeps around some dude (or girl, like Kreay, who has actually directed some of his stuff) who knows somewhat what they're doing and has a decent video camera.

Usually in these videos, the rapper is hanging out, smoking and kickin' it with their homies. With Soulja Boy, he brags a lot because he has A LOT of money so he's just showing off all his weed and jewelry and red iPhone (THEY DON'T EVEN MAKE A RED IPHONE). Soulja is also really good at lip syncing, I'm guessing from all the experience he's had making high budget music videos for his actual singles.

Since I watch these videos all the time, I am extremely interested in them. I'm a huge fan of DIY-music and videos go hand in hand with music, so it makes sense. I think these videos match their songs very well. I love mixtapes and to get singles and music videos from them is really awesome. Here are some examples:
Kreayshawn - Bumpin Bumpin 


Soulja Boy - Tear It Up 



Soulja Boy and Lil B - YGRN



Lil B- Wonton Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment