11.13.2011

The Original Street Poet



Nas. I don't even need to write this (but I will) because everyone should be legally obligated to listen to and appreciate Nasir Jones. He's so important, so so important. I probably can't even put it into words how much he means to hip hop and all of music, but I'll attempt it.

Illmatic came out in 1994 and blew out all competition out of the water. It was released one month after Biggie Smalls died and it was exactly what east coast rap needed. Some new kid from Queens exploded on the scene and gave the east coast back what they had lost with Biggie. "Life's A Bitch" is a heartfelt ode to the streets where Nas grew up. "Halftime" features a typical 90s beat matched with real lyrics. This album is so important. I really can't say that enough. It's one of the best rap albums of all time and I am NOT the only one who believes that.

It Was Written was released in 1996 and was the beginning of his long feud with Jay-Z. I like this album a little bit better than Illmatic but only because one of my favorite hip hop songs of all time, "If I Ruled The World (Imagine That)" featuring Lauryn Hill). "Imagine smoking weed in the street without cops harassing" - SUCH A GREAT LINE. I really connected with that line and the whole song.

I could go on and on about Nas. I loved his album with Damien Marley, Distant Relatives. "As We Enter" is such a jam. His newest song "Nasty" is so good and it proves that he hasn't changed or gotten bad over the years. This is such a dope 90s-inspired jam. Original street poet. He is hands down my favorite rapper of all time. Nas is just the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment