11.12.2011

Drake - Take Care



So Drake's new album, Take Care, leaked out this week and I may or may not have been listening to it. Ok, here's the deal. I fucking hate Drake. I don't think a Canadian child star from my favorite teen drama from the early 00s has any business rapping with Young Money for God's sake. The only street cred Drake has is his character on Degrassi got shot and was forced to use a wheelchair. It really bothers me that he tries to sound like Lil Wayne and that he's hugely successful.

BUT, I heard Take Care is supposed to be one of the best albums of the year. So I decided to give it a try, plus I like his songs that have been on the radio ("Headlines" is surprisingly good, I love the building beat). It's pretty damn good. "The Real Her" is a slow jam where Drake sounds like R. Kelly. I've always said I like him better as a singer than a rapper. Plus Andre 3000 is in this song and he's always amazing. Lil Wayne is still kind of a shitty rapper, but he's always entertaining, I guess. My favorite song off this album is "Make Me Proud." Oh my God, this song is REALLY good. I was so surprised. The descending beat matched with a heart thumping bass line and fast paced synths. Drake's rapping is also not cringe-worthy. I kind of like him now. Nicki Minaj on this track is dope too. She's pretty great. I like the line in "Headlines" that's like "I had someone tell me I fell off, ooh I needed that. And they wanna see me pick back up well I leave it at."I don't know why, but I feel like that's a great line.

Overall, no I won't be buying this album. Maybe, but probably not. I'll listen to it on Spotify though. I pay $10 a month for Spotify premium, so whatever. It's good and I like it. Good job Drake. It is definitely a part of my best of 2011 list.

But this is still what I picture when I think of Drake:
(Yes, his shirt says "I got five on it" Hilarious)

No comments:

Post a Comment