11.16.2011

It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp

There's no secret that hip hop has been objectifying women since the beginning. After talking with my roommate about prostitution and sex slaves, I realized that rap music sensationalizes and promotes prostitution and pimping. No, it's not hard out here for a pimp. Whatever, I'm white and I don't understand the socio-economic implications of the inner-city and the lack of education that leads to this way of life. I'm reading a book about being poor and black in the inner-city and it says that young black men sell drugs and dress sharply and hang out on the corners because it's part of their culture. The author blames black culture for the reason why crime and prostitution and unwed mothers in the inner-cities of America. I don't think rappers should write about being a pimp ("Big Pimpin" etc), but again, I can't connect with their lifestyle. This book I'm reading is really interesting. This is something I'm pretty interested in, so I'll probably write about it more in detail but I wanted to put in my two cents. One.

1 comment:

  1. As much as I love rap music, I definitely believe it has had a negative affect on the culture. In addition to it being "hard for a pimp", the whole "get rich or die trying" mentality is a major downfall. What happened to working your ass off and making an honest living.

    On the flip side though - sex, drugs and ... how about rock and roll?! That would be an interesting study... the language in rap music is definitely a direct one. Do you think rock and roll/other genres may have talked about these negative things as well, and perhaps the language was just a bit more mysterious and poetic?

    ReplyDelete