11.13.2011

My Music Taste

I wanted to explain my music taste, but I wanted to wait til I wrote more before I wrote this post. Tonight, someone said something really hurtful to me that I've heard before and I'll always hear it - "you don't know anything about music." I know, I say a lot of outrageous things and I like ridiculous music, but so what? I don't know how people have the nerve to say shit like to me. It's the most hurtful thing anybody can say to me because it really is my bread and butter.

Here's the deal. I grew up on a lot of different music. My parents loved Bob Marley, Prince and a bunch of other stuff. The classics, etc. I learned how to read by looking at CD liner notes. My mom thought I was weird and socially inept because I'd become obsessed with music, like when I lived and breathed Tragic Kingdom when I was six years old. I was a six year old Gwen Stefani wannabe. No Doubt was my first favorite band. I was in middle school when I first started listening to obscure stuff, like Morrissey and Radiohead. What 12 year old do you know that listens to Morrissey? I went through a brief punk/hardcore phase from ages 12-15. When I was 15, I started listening to pop punk and emo. Throughout high school, I was very into the local and national pop punk scene and went to shows almost every weekend. I went to Warped Tour every summer during high school. During this time, I also was listening to rap such as Clipse, Lil Wayne, Outkast, etc. I never admitted it, but I loved hip hop and pop music. In college when I moved to New Orleans, I abandoned my pop punk roots and started listening to indie (hello, college) and more rap and pop. Time went by and now I mainly listen to hip hop these days. I still actively listen to everything I used to love.

I never claim to be a music expert, but I do know a little bit about it. I read a lot and try to keep my finger on the pulse of the music industry. If you wanna challenge me, that's fine. I'm a writer and I'll always be hurt by editors and critics. It's cool, I knew this all along. But please, don't be so harsh. It makes me want to seek a different career, but I really don't want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment