11.11.2011

Miguel



When I wrote my post about R&B, I completely forgot about Miguel. So I decided to write a whole post about him because he's really one of the best new artists of 2010/2011. His album, All I Want Is You, was released last November. Most of his singles have been released this year though, starting with the titular "All I Want Is You" featuring J. Cole late last year. "Sure Thing" is truly the best song on the album. It's a heartfelt ballad about professing love to a recent ex. I read that he wrote it for his girlfriend that he cheated on, and she took him back. Wow, you know that's a good song then. "Quickie" is the album's third single and it's about...well, a quickie. I mean, yeah it's a little ridiculous, but it's beautifully arranged with a strong chorus and lingering verses. "Girls Like You" is a dramatic tune about being reminded of the one you love in other people at other places. I love the line "Cause my heart beats on empty, so once in a while girls like you remind me that I'm lonely." Wow, what a line. It gets me every single time. He's just so emotional and true to his lyrics. His voice is so endearing and haunting. The video has drastic, 80s style lighting and the movement is insane. It's one of my favorites of the album, but "Sure Thing" is such a fucking jam. I'm really glad Spotify doesn't show play count, because I'm sure that I've listened to that song at least 80,000 times. Go get this album, it's my #3 favorite album of 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment