12.07.2011

Big Sean, New Orleans 12/6



So last night I saw Big Sean at the House of Blues, because I knew it would be entertaining. And it really was. It was the last stop on the Finally Famous tour and it was a blasty blast. My friend and I got there just before he went on and caught the last few songs of the opening act, Cyhi da Prynce, another rapper on Kanye's GOOD Music label and he was pretty good. He mentioned Stevie Williams (pro skateboarder who basically encompasses the whole black hipster/skater/streetwear look that so many rappers are obsessed with right now) and had a song about "emotional dudes." He was pretty good, but his set was basically just an opportunity for me to drink a few beers for Big Sean came on.

Big Sean started right on time and began with a few mixtape tracks. He then explained his love and appreciation for mixtapes, which I thought was so cool because I'm a huge supporter of mixtapes. Of course, he played his big songs like "A$$" and "My Last" and "Marvin Gaye and Chardonnay." He also did my fave songs from his album Finally Famous like "High" and "Live This Life." He said he was working on a "bigger and better" album for 2012, which made me really happy.

During a break, Big Sean thanked all of us for coming to his show and expressed how his fans are the reason his grandma is proud of him. He also talked about how you have to follow your dreams and do what you love, because that's what he did and now he's a famous rapper. He should really be a motivational speaker because it really moved me, no joke. I really have a great deal of admiration for him because of his dedication and love of rap.

My favorite part of the show was when he took off his jewelry before he jumped in the crowd. I used to go to a lot of local pop punk/scene/hardcore shows in high school and I don't really go to rap shows as often as I'd like. It's just so different from the shows I used to go to. I don't think any lead singers of the bands I used to see had to take off their $50,000+ gold and yellow diamond bracelets before crowd surfing.

I used to hate Big Sean and called him "Drake 2" but I've really changed my opinion about him. I'm glad I paid 20 bucks to go to his show because it was really so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment